Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Yikes!

A comment and link from Matt Dickman on Rajesh Setty's Life Beyond Code blog is illustrative of something, but I'm not exactly sure what. The comment is as follows:

This graphic (which I came across just yesterday) helps illustrate this point [about competition among open source vendors] very well. Just look at the number of splits in Linux alone. Each slightly different and improving on one another. It's fascinating to me how quickly these iterations happen to deliver a new product to consumers.

While I agree with the general sense of "isn't this graphic amazing?", Dickman seems to view it in a much more positive light than I do. Does it not strike anyone else that the graphic illustrates something just a little bit disfunctional and overly complex?

No comments: